WriteShop I & II Overview
Feel Insecure about Teaching and Grading Writing?
Parents love WriteShop! This flexible writing program helps new and veteran homeschoolers alike tackle junior high and high school-level writing with confidence. From brainstorming to final draft, the Teacher’s Manual clearly defines your role in the writing process. You’ll love the examples, detailed lesson plans, and step-by-step instructions.
WriteShop I and II set your teens on a course for success. Assignments give them a chance to practice various kinds of writing, including creative, expository, narrative, and persuasive. With each lesson, they’ll learn new skills, apply them to their current writing project, and edit and revise the composition several times. By the end of the lesson—after brainstorming, writing, editing, and revising—they’ll have a polished paper to be proud of!
Inspire Confident Writers
Confident writers are comfortable with the writing process. WriteShop’s step-by-step method encourages your teen’s success.
Brainstorming. Topic suggestions, graphic organizers and brainstorming worksheets, and 17 practical word banks help unlock your student’s creative ideas.
Writing. WriteShop’s “learn-practice-do” approach helps new skills become habits. Each engaging lesson presents a new writing skill that is:
- Introduced as a Skill Builder exercise.
- Put into practice in the current composition.
- Applied to future compositions.
Additionally, WriteShop focuses on clarity, conciseness, colorful vocabulary, and sentence variety that will add sparkle to dull, ordinary compositions.
Self-Editing and Revising. WriteShop tells students exactly what to look for when editing and refining their own work—no guessing involved! Each lesson has its own customized Writing Skills Checklist. When finished with the editing process, students have a polished final draft.
No More Writer’s Block
Do your kids fear the dreaded blank page? Writing comes easier when they have clear instructions and topic guidelines.
WriteShop’s concrete guidelines tell them exactly what’s expected. They’ll never be left to wonder how long their paper should be or what content they should include.
WriteShop I & II Features
- Solid writing foundation for 6th-10th graders using WriteShop I
- Advanced writing concepts for 8th-12th graders using WriteShop II
- Incremental lessons with a strong emphasis on editing; lessons gradually increase in difficulty
- Practical grammar application as students relate grammar to writing through Skill Builders
- Goal of mastery as new concepts are reviewed in almost every lesson
- Creative and varied lessons and activities
- Graphic organizers and step-by-step strategies that help students who have learning difficulties such as dyslexia or dysgraphia
- Flexible scheduling. Because the material is “ungraded,” students may begin WriteShop I any time between 6th and 10th grade and may take from one semester to two years to complete this first level. When finished, they can move on to WriteShop II.