WriteShop Junior Overview
Using pre-writing activities, skill builders, and more, WriteShop Junior introduces 3rd-6th graders to genre while teaching important writing, editing, and grammar skills.
Looking for Ways to Make Writing More Fun?
Writing doesn’t have to be a tearful experience for your child—or a hair-pulling one for you! When you replace boring workbooks with lessons that are exciting and enjoyable for both of you, soon your kids will be begging for more writing time!
If the idea of teaching writing seems intimidating, WriteShop Junior holds your hand every step of the way. Lesson plans show you exactly how to guide your child through each part of the writing process.
Inspire Confidence in Young Writers
WriteShop Junior’s creative activities spark enthusiasm in both eager and resistant writers. And when fun replaces fear, a child’s confidence as a writer begins to blossom. Sprinkled with games, hands-on projects, and parent guidance, WriteShop Junior encourages success!
Children learn that a series of stepping stones make up the writing process:
Brainstorming. Topic suggestions, graphic organizers, and gentle parent guidance help unlock your student’s creative ideas.
Writing. Each engaging lesson uses games to introduce skills such as replacing weak words with strong ones, forming sentences of different lengths, and using emotion words in writing. Children are taught to use these new tools in their writing projects. Additionally, WriteShop Junior helps them use details and colorful description to write longer, more interesting stories and reports.
Self-Editing and Revising. WriteShop’s encouraging “job-well-done” approach sends intimidation packing! Simple checklists and a personal editor’s toolkit actually make the process fun. And students are always encouraged to publish their final draft in a creative way—with loads of ideas included.
WriteShop Junior Features
- Fiction, nonfiction, short reports, and poetry
- Writing genres such as adventure, science fiction, mystery, personal narrative, and fables
- Creativity and variety in each lesson
- Multisensory activities that appeal to different learners
- Incremental lessons that build on earlier skills
- 5-paragraph writing (introduced toward the end of Book E and Book F)
- Positive focus on self-editing
- Creative publishing ideas
- Fold-N-Go Grammar to reinforce key skills
- Flexible teaching schedule
- Parent tips to help struggling writers
- Suggested scripts to help parents model writing
- Smaller Steps and Flying Higher that adjust writing to child’s level of ability
- Effective for students with learning difficulties such as dyslexia or dysgraphia
Learn More about WriteShop Junior
Frequently Asked Questions
How to Choose a Level
View Sample Lessons
View WriteShop Junior Book D products
View WriteShop Junior Book E products
View WriteShop Junior Book F products (PRE-ORDER NOW!)
WriteShop Junior Book E: Internet Resources – A list of the most up-to-date links found in the Book E Teacher’s Guide