WriteShop Junior Book E: Internet Resources
Most WriteShop Junior Book E lessons include links to helpful, informative websites. The Book E Teacher’s Guide Appendix offers a master list, but for your convenience, we have provided live links below as well.
Please supervise your children’s Internet use so that you can guide them to sites with age-appropriate content. Though we take care to select websites that are safe and wholesome, we make no guarantee that our recommendations will always match your family’s criteria for acceptable website viewing.
- WriteShop Blog – In Our Write Minds – Encouragement and tips for teaching and editing writing
- WriteShop StoryBuilders – Various card decks of writing prompts (downloadable PDF)
Writing Center Materials and Supplies
- Miller Pads & Paper – Inexpensive grade-level lined paper, colored paper, cardstock, blank books, and art supplies
- Lakeshore Learning Materialsl
- IKEA (USA) – Shelves, cubbies, bins, desks, and storage ideas
Bookmaking, Craft, and Publishing Ideas
Bookmaking and Craft Tutorials
- Accordion Book Tutorial– Step-by-step illustrations for making a small accordion book
- Accordion Book Video Tutorial
- Instant Book Video Tutorial – Make a mini book from a single sheet of paper
- Craft Stamp Video Tutorial – Make a foam craft stamp to decorate paper and envelopes
- Tagxedo – Turn words, stories, and articles into a visually stunning word cloud
- Wordle – Play with different fonts, layouts, and color schemes as you generate word clouds from your own text
Lapbooks and Dioramas
- Lapbooking Overview – Ideas, instructions, photos, examples, and even free templates to help you make lapbooks
- Diorama Man – Tips and ideas for creating different kinds of dioramas
Books and Reading
Stories and Book Lists
- Aesop’s Fables – Helps introduce fables (Lesson 1)
- First Clues – Reading list of mysteries for kids (Lesson 5)
- Kids Love a Mystery – Mystery activities and reading lists (Lesson 5)
Reading Incentives and Rewards
Fun with Words
- RhymeZone – Online rhyming dictionary for budding poets
- Wacky Web Tales – Online fill-in-the-blank stories similar to MadLibs
Computer Tools and Typing Skills
- Canvastic – Text and graphics publishing tool for grades K-8 ($)
- Serif Page Plus Starter Edition – Create cards, flyers, and more (free download)
Chart and Graphing Tools
- Dance Mat Typing
- Peter’s Online Typing Course
- Online Keyboarding Education – Loads of links to beginning, intermediate, and advanced typing lessons and games, skill and speed exercises, and more
Keyboarding Games for Kids
Introduce children to old-time radio as a springboard to Lesson 4 (science fiction radio) and Lesson 5 (mystery or detective radio).
Science Projects and Experiments
Wacky science experiments can add to the fun of writing science fiction stories (Lesson 4).
Project Ideas to Try
- Elementary School Science Fair Projects
- Science Bob Experiments
- Steve Spangler Science
- Science Experiments for Kids
- Layered Liquids Experiment
Science Experiment Videos
Watching videos of science experiments is a safe way to help kids better understand concepts.
Did you encounter a broken link? If so, please contact us so we can fix it!