WriteShop Primary Overview
Introduce beginning writing skills to your K-3rd graders through games, crafts, picture books, and one-on-one teaching time.
Fun Is the Word of the Day!
A flexible, gentle program, full of variety and creativity for the young writer … Since early lessons have the option to be entirely oral on the part of the child, there is no pressure, only the opportunity to talk about things that are familiar to him as he watches Mom write down his words. –Shannon Cullip, AK, homeschool mother of four
WriteShop Primary uses hands-on activities to teach the concepts of the writing process at the very simplest level. It’s perfect for pre-writers as well as beginning and developing writers.
Watch Your Young Writers Blossom!
WriteShop Primary’s creative activities produce ideas and smiles! When you start teaching simple writing skills at a young age, children are less likely to fear and hate writing later on—and when fun replaces fear, their confidence will blossom.
Lessons are divided into Activity Sets to fully cover a topic without hurrying the child. Lots of examples make teaching easy for you. Each Activity Set includes time for you to model and teach writing in a relaxed, nonthreatening way.
Even at this young age, children can learn that writing is a process made up of several steps:
Planning. Familiar topics, simple graphic organizers, and gentle parent guidance help unlock your child’s creative ideas.
Writing. Children who can’t write independently yet are encouraged to dictate their stories to you. Writing assignments grow from 3- to 5-sentences in WriteShop Primary Book A to simple paragraphs and stories in Book B and Book C. Lessons build incrementally, and as children grow in skill and confidence, they are encouraged to become more independent writers, as they are able.
Editing. From the very beginning, children learn that editing is a natural part of writing. At the Primary level, most editing is done orally with guidance from you—in a gentle, encouraging way that focuses on the positive.
WriteShop Primary Features
- No-pressure activities that eliminate stress
- Incremental lessons that build slowly
- Multisensory appeal for visual, auditory, and kinesthetic learners
- Picture book suggestions for each lesson
- Crafty publishing ideas children love
- Oral activities for kids who aren’t reading or writing yet
- Simple scripts to help parents model and teach new skills
- Smaller Steps and Flying Higher that adjust writing to child’s level of ability
- Spelling practice games in Book B and Book C
- Flexible schedules
- Parent tips to help struggling writers
- Effective for students who learn with difficulty