Looking for a painless way to provide your family with some fun language-building activities? In just a few minutes, you can be sitting around the kitchen table enjoying a variety of printable word games that challenge you and your kids to use vocabulary in different ways.
- Word twists and find-a-word puzzles help young readers develop speed and skill by quickly spotting letters and letter clusters.
- Available at all proficiency levels, crossword puzzles offer clues and definitions to help students identify words.
- Games like Mad Libs® help everyone better understand and use parts of speech.
- And just about every word game helps improve spelling skills.
You can find hundreds of free, printable word games online. Most websites allow you to reproduce them for classroom or home use. Some websites even let you sign up to receive daily word puzzles by e-mail.
Here are a few handy places to get started. Have fun!
- Puzzles features challenging word searches, hidden messages, and easier puzzles specifically for kids. Solve each puzzle with pen or pencil and paper.
- The Kidz Page offers learning games such as mixed-up words, fill-in puzzles, and word searches (some with holiday themes).
- Mad Glibs lets you create Mad Libs-type stories right on the computer. But for printable versions to use at home or on the road, each puzzle offers a “Printer Friendly” link that takes you to a free download.
- Word Search Puzzles: Here you’ll find puzzles by theme as well as by level of difficulty, from easy to hard.
- A bit more challenging, Printable Daily Crossword Puzzles offers seven new puzzles every day.
So sharpen those pencils, print out a few puzzles, and start the year off with some fun new writing games!
Photo: Wendy, courtesy of Creative Commons
Sign up for the WriteShop list to get your free 240 printable writing prompt cards.