One of the best ways to ensure you stick with a daily writing habit is to have plenty of prompts on hand. Kids thrive when they are given boundaries with generous margins. The twenty writing prompts in this free printable September writing prompt calendar provide the perfect amount of structure to stimulate your young writer while allowing for plenty of imagination!
Example writing prompts from the September calendar
- Where would you choose to stay for a week: an underwater hotel or an igloo hotel? Why?
- Create a word search puzzle using words from your history or science lesson.
- When you are in a bad mood, is it easy for you to snap out of it? Why or why not?
- You are a kitchen appliance. Write about one of your experiences.
The calendar is not dated, so you can use it year after year whenever you need writing inspiration for your elementary students in grades 3-8.
Ideas for using your September writing prompt calendar
There is no single way to use the calendar. It’s flexible, so you can make it work for you and your children! Here are a few options.
- Print it on colored paper.
- Print it on white paper, and let your child color in the prompts as she uses them.
- Number the grid with the dates you have homeschool lessons in September.
- Let your child skip around on the grid, choosing the prompts out of order.
- Hole punch the calendar and put it into a writing notebook or journal.
- Tape or glue the calendar into a composition notebook or journal.
- Hang the calendar on your refrigerator or bulletin board for daily reference.
If you would like to share this prompt with others, please link to this post instead of linking directly to the PDF file. Feel free to save and print this PDF file for your own personal use. Please do not sell or host these files anywhere else.
Receive daily writing prompts via email
Would you prefer to have these prompts delivered to your inbox each day? Sign up for our prompt of the day emails, and that’s exactly what you will get. Each morning, Monday through Friday, you will receive a new message with a writing prompt you can use that day in your homeschool writing lessons.
Take your pick! Download a September calendar PDF or get the free emails. Or get both for double the writing reminders.