Today’s homeschoolers are finding that the use of technology and applications (apps) meld seamlessly with traditional textbooks and other educational tools.
The following applications can be found in the Apple iTunes store. While these are paid apps, the fee is small, and the benefit well exceeds the price.
1. Story Builder: By the use of audio clips, children can expect to improve their paragraph formation as well as integration of ideas. A great tool to build a child’s communication skills.
2. Sentence Builder: Three levels of play and 100 distinct pictures allow elementary students to build grammatically correct sentences.
3. Question Builder: With 1,200 audio clip questions and answers, this app helps students to build inference skills by answering abstract questions.
4. Grammar Prep: Directed toward working professionals (AKA the working homeschool teacher). Use these apps to freshen up on your own grammar skills.
5. Flashcards Deluxe: Flashcards have always been a popular tool for reading and writing. This simplifies the process of combining pictures, information and sound together. Stop wasting paper and go green with this app.
6. SpellDown Spelling Bee: A simple way to put together a fun and challenging spelling bee. With the ability to record audio, this app is a great way to add a new element to the traditional test.
7. ABA Problem Solving Game – What Rhymes?: Strengthen your young child’s foundation for reading comprehension by practicing rhyming games that offer both visual and audio exercises. Students are shown four objects and asked which two rhyme.
8. Forvo Pronunciation: Listen and learn pronunciations of words from over 250 languages.
Ryan Fontana joins us today as a guest blogger. Hope you have a chance to check out some of his great app finds for techno-savvy homeschoolers.