August writing prompt calendar
One of the best ways to ensure you stick with a daily writing habit is to have plenty of prompts on hand. Kids thrive when they are given boundaries with generous margins. The twenty writing prompts in this free printable August writing prompt calendar provide the perfect amount of structure to stimulate your young writer while allowing for plenty of imagination!
Example writing prompts from the August calendar
- What would you write with a magic pen that could disguise your handwriting? Why?
- Create a dialogue between your new back-to-school pencils and your old pencils.
- Would you rather have a big birthday celebration or do something special with one friend?
- If kids could own cars, what car would you pick? Why?
The calendar is not dated, so you can use it year after year whenever you need writing inspiration for your elementary students in grades 3-8.
Ideas for using your August writing prompt calendar
There is no single way to use the calendar. It’s flexible, so you can make it work for you and your children! Here are a few options.
- Print it on colored paper.
- Print it on white paper, and let your child color in the prompts as she uses them.
- Number the grid with the dates you have homeschool lessons in August.
- Let your child skip around on the grid, choosing the prompts out of order.
- Hole punch the calendar and put it into a writing notebook or journal.
- Tape or glue the calendar into a composition notebook or journal.
- Hang the calendar on your refrigerator or bulletin board for daily reference.
Download the August prompt calendar here or use the preview below.
If you would like to share this prompt with others, please link to this post instead of linking directly to the PDF file. Feel free to save and print this PDF file for your own personal use. Please do not sell or host these files anywhere else.
Receive daily writing prompts via email
Would you prefer to have these prompts delivered to your inbox each day? Sign up for our prompt of the day emails, and that’s exactly what you will get. Each morning, Monday through Friday, you will receive a new message with a writing prompt you can use that day in your homeschool writing lessons.
Sign up for the WriteShop list to get your free 33 printable word bank prompts.