WriteShop Primary Book A is recommended for students in kindergarten or first grade. Since early lessons have the option to be entirely oral on the part of the child, there is no pressure---only the opportunity to talk about things that are familiar to him as he watches Mom write down his words. Slowly and gently, the child is asked to help with the actual writing, first in simple words, then through copywork.
Picture books, games, and simple crafts make it easy and fun for little learners to grasp new concepts. Children who are reluctant or not able to write on their own are encouraged to dictate their stories and ideas to you. As their skills develop, they will learn to help more and more with the actual writing. For more advanced students, extra challenges appear throughout each lesson to promote stronger writing habits.
The Book A Teacher's Guide takes you step-by-step through the writing process so you can teach with confidence. You will appreciate the writing samples, simple dialogs, and detailed instructions.
By the end of Book A, children will have learned to plan, create, and publish simple stories with parent help. They will:
- Generate ideas for a story
- Experience planning a story before writing (or dictating) it
- Gather simple information about a topic
- Use a story web to organize information
- Identify beginning, middle, and end
- Choose an appropriate title
- Think of simple ways to improve a story
- Publish a story through a project or craft
Other skills introduced in Book A include:
- Completing predictable sentence starters
- Recognizing words that rhyme
- Starting a sentence with a capital letter
- Identifying and using punctuation marks at the end of a sentence
For more information, see:
If purchasing the E-BOOK (digital) version
- You will receive an email containing a link to the digital download of the Teacher’s Guide.
Nancy I. Sanders
Kindergarten or 1st grade
Soft cover with plastic-coil binding; lies flat for ease of use
Yes, you'll need both teacher and student components
Activity Pack A