WriteShop Junior Teacher’s Guide | Book F
WriteShop Junior teaches students to write and publish fiction, nonfiction, poems, and short reports using a variety of pre-writing games, graphic organizers, and kid-approved self-editing tools. Whether you have a reluctant writer or a more advanced child, this program offers flexible options so students can work at their own level.
You will also need the companion Activity Pack F.
Looking for a curriculum that puts the fun back in writing? Then you’ll love WriteShop Junior!
WriteShop Junior is a creative writing program that appeals to many learning styles. As with all WriteShop products, Book F helps you guide children through the steps of the writing process. To keep the experience fun, each lesson includes engaging games and activities that teach and review important writing skills. And whether you have a more advanced child or one who is fairly new to writing, this program is flexible so children can work at their own level.
While each lesson follows a consistent format, the varied and interesting activities mean your child will look forward to each day’s work. Lessons break the writing process into manageable chunks that are easy to understand and master. The Teacher’s Guide includes several schedules with daily lesson plans. Schedules are flexible and easy to follow.
This is not an independent course: lessons are designed for parent and child to work together. Successful writing results from purposeful instruction. That’s why WriteShop Junior has been created with parent-and-child partnership in mind.
Book F builds on foundational skills your child has learned in the past. Students will grow in their brainstorming and planning skills, gain confidence in writing creatively, and learn new ways to edit and revise their stories and reports. In addition, Book F teaches 5-paragraph writing in a way that’s practically painless.
Always choose the level that best fits your child’s cognitive skills rather than their ability to write. Let them dictate what they cannot write by themselves so you can focus on helping them plan, organize, and develop ideas.
- Book F is ideal for students in 5th and 6th grade.
- This level may also be used with reluctant 7th and 8th graders who have had little or no formal writing instruction.
- Parents also appreciate being able to use the program with struggling learners.
- If your 5th grader has had little to no past writing experience—or is not quite ready for 5-paragraph writing—we suggest beginning with Book D, especially if they have weak punctuation or grammar skills and still need a lot of help planning, organizing, and adding details to a story.
- If your 6th grader has had little to no past writing experience, begin with Book E. Book D can work for some 6th graders, as long as they don’t feel like the worksheet illustrations are too “childish.”
If purchasing the E-BOOK (digital) version
- Available for immediate download
- You will receive an email containing a link to the digital download of the Teacher’s Guide.
Nancy I. Sanders
5th or 6th grade; may also be used with reluctant 7th (or even 8th) graders
Soft cover with plastic-coil binding; lies flat for ease of use
Yes, you'll need both teacher and student components
Activity Pack F, Junior Writer's Notebook 2, Time-Saver Pack F
WriteShop Junior is so easy to teach…. The activities are fun to do and helped us break down the writing experience into smaller pieces.
Isabelle, Ontario, Canada
Lesson activities are perfect “stepping stones” that take the child through the entire writing process, ending with a published final draft.
Who knew you could use games and hands-on activities to teach writing! My daughter really enjoyed the creative lessons, journal prompts, and ideas for publishing her stories.
Each lesson is laid out in a parent -friendly manner that requires very little prep time on my part. And each activity develops important writing techniques in a fun, incremental manner that makes the teaching “stick.”
When my son had trouble with the details of a story, I guided him along, just like I’ve been taught. That’s what I love about WriteShop, you train me to train him!
Book F has been a great way to introduce writing to my 10-year-old daughter…. She has begun her writing education with a great attitude towards writing and a lot of confidence in her abilities.
WriteShop Junior has a great balance of structure and flexibility. My children know what to expect and there is enough variety to keep them engaged.
I love WriteShop! I love the various writing styles it teaches and the step-by-step guided teaching.
WriteShop Junior Book F includes the following lessons:
Lesson 1: Adventure
Lesson 2: Tall Tales
Lesson 3: Mystery
Lesson 4: Historical Fiction
Lesson 5: Poetry | Limericks
Lesson 6: Persuasive Letter
Lesson 7: Personal Narrative
Lesson 8: Summary
Lesson 9: Book Report | Responding to Literature
Lesson 10: Expository Writing | Nonfiction Report
Working three days a week, you will typically finish one lesson in three weeks. Each lesson includes pre-writing games, brainstorming with graphic organizers, story writing (with help as needed), self-editing, and publishing the story in a creative way.
Skills Taught in Book F
- Writing in different fiction genres
- Writing nonfiction and book reports
- Writing using 5 or more paragraphs (beginning in Lesson 7)
- Answering journal prompts
- Planning and organizing each writing project
- Choosing strong words and synonyms
- Including sensory detail
- Writing sentences of different lengths
- Adding sentence starters
- Using dialogue to show, not tell
- Developing voice and emotion
- Publishing final drafts in a creative way
- Using references
- Using self-editing tools
- Learning and practicing key grammar skills
You may also like…
WriteShop Junior Activity Pack | Book F (w/Fold-N-Go Grammar)from $37.50Select options
Adventure Builder StoryBuilders | Printable Writing Prompt Cards$3.50Add to cart
WriteShop Junior Time-Saver Pack | Book F – Print book$15.95Add to cart
WriteShop Junior Activity Pack | Book F (w/Fold-N-Go Grammar) – Print book$47.95Add to cart