WriteShop Junior Teacher’s Guide | Book E
WriteShop Junior teaches students to write and publish fiction, nonfiction, poems, and short reports using a variety of pre-writing games, graphic organizers, and kid-approved self-editing tools. Whether you have a reluctant writer or a more advanced child, this program offers flexible options so students can work at their own level.
You will also need the companion Activity Pack E.
Looking for a curriculum that puts the fun back in writing? Then you’ll love WriteShop Junior!
WriteShop Junior is a creative writing program that appeals to many learning styles. As with all WriteShop products, Book E helps you guide children through the steps of the writing process. To keep the experience fun, each lesson includes engaging games and activities that teach and review important writing skills. And whether you have a more advanced child or one who is fairly new to writing, this program is flexible so children can work at their own level.
While each lesson follows a consistent format, the varied and interesting activities mean your child will look forward to each day’s work. Lessons break the writing process into manageable chunks that are easy to understand and master. The Teacher’s Guide includes several schedules with daily lesson plans. Schedules are flexible and easy to follow.
This is not an independent course: lessons are designed for parent and child to work together. Successful writing results from purposeful instruction. That’s why WriteShop Junior has been created with parent-and-child partnership in mind.
Book E builds on foundational skills your child has learned in the past. Students will grow in their brainstorming and planning skills, gain confidence in writing creatively, and learn new ways to edit and revise their stories and reports. In addition, Book E introduces 5-paragraph writing in a way that’s practically painless!
- Book E is ideal for students in 4th and 5th grade.
- This level may also be used with reluctant 6th and 7th graders who have had little or no formal writing instruction.
- Parents also appreciate being able to use the program with struggling learners.
- If your 4th-6th grader has had little to no past writing experience—or is not quite ready for 5-paragraph writing—we suggest beginning with Book D, especially if they have weak punctuation or grammar skills and still need a lot of help planning, organizing, and adding details to a story.
If purchasing the E-BOOK (digital) version
- You will receive an email containing a link to the digital download of the Teacher’s Guide.
If purchasing the product bundle (Value Pack)
- You will receive the Teacher’s Guide, Activity Pack, and Time-Saver Pack.
- You will also receive the PDF download of the Junior Writer’s Notebook, which is not available in print version.
- If you order the E-book version of the Value Pack, you will receive an email containing a link to the digital download of all four products.
Nancy I. Sanders
4th or 5th grade; may also be used with reluctant 6th (or even 7th) graders
Soft cover with plastic-coil binding; lies flat for ease of use
Yes, you’ll need both teacher and student components
Activity Pack E, Time-Saver Pack E, Junior Writer’s Notebook 1
See What Parents Are Saying…
I am really pleased with the progress my daughter has made. This was a great program—better than anything we’ve tried. It kept her engaged and interested. I think WriteShop Junior is amazing!
Love this program … It is perfect for the dyslexic learner because of its explicit, systematic, multisensory instruction. What’s more … my kids like it!
Marianne Sunderland, Abundant Life
I used to feel so unprepared to teach writing and was frustrated when my son didn’t get it. With the tools offered in Book E, he’s now equipped to take on many kinds of writing. The lessons are easy to follow and enjoyable!
I was especially pleased to see some 5-paragraph writing assignments. I’d been wanting them to learn that for years, but didn’t quite know how to go about!
Pam, New Zealand
My kids have learned buckets! Above all else, they have gained a confidence in writing that they didn’t have before. Thanks … I can’t say it enough.
Marisa, South Dakota
I got the Ebook version, and loved it. It’s a huge 279 page PDF file with everything you need to know to succeed. It takes the pain out of how to teach writing to your children! It is very complete and comprehensive, but very easy to use.
Renita, Mom of Many
My son is very challenging to homeschool so I am very surprised by his response to this curriculum. He LOVES it! The creativity WriteShop adds to each lesson is a plus for our family. Thank you!
WriteShop Junior Book E includes the following lessons:
Lesson 1: Fables
Lesson 2: Humor
Lesson 3: Adventure
Lesson 4: Science Fiction
Lesson 5: Mystery
Lesson 6: Poetry | Shape Poems
Lesson 7: Personal Narrative
Lesson 8: Descriptive Narrative
Lesson 9: Book Report | Responding to Literature
Lesson 10: Expository Writing | Nonfiction Report
Working three days a week, you will typically finish one lesson in three weeks. Each lesson includes pre-writing games, brainstorming with graphic organizers, story writing (with help as needed), self-editing, and publishing the story in a creative way.
Other skills taught in Book E include:
- Writing in different fiction genres
- Writing nonfiction and book reports
- Answering journal prompts
- Planning and organizing each writing project
- Choosing strong words and synonyms
- Developing voice and emotion
- Writing sentences of different lengths
- Learning to write using 5 paragraphs
- Publishing final drafts in a creative way
- Using references
- Using a variety of self-editing tools