WriteShop I offers incremental lessons, challenging assignments, and creative activities for teens.
Students improve descriptive, informative, and narrative writing skills by becoming proficient in four vital techniques: brainstorming, drafting, editing, and revising. Not only do students learn to narrow their topics and choose vivid, descriptive wording, they learn to add interest to their writing by varying their sentence structure.
Each lesson's Skill Builder introduces new writing tools, which students have the opportunity to apply during future lessons. This "Learn-Practice-Do" approach helps ensure mastery.
What's new in the 5th edition?
- Faith-neutral content
- Updated, streamlined introduction
- Updated content in some lessons
- Updated student instructions
- Updated student & teacher checklists
WriteShop I Student Workbook includes
- 16 lessons (most students complete the book in one year, two weeks per lesson)
- Step-by-step instructions for each lesson, written to the student
- Creative and varied writing assignments and supplemental activities
- Skill Builders that teach new concepts
- Lesson-specific student and teacher checklists (one per lesson)
- Composition evaluation rubrics (one per lesson)
- 17 exhaustive word banks
To see an overview of WriteShop I content, click the Scope & Sequence tab above.
Though ideal for most 6th-10th graders, WriteShop I works successfully with older high schoolers who need to learn these skills. The program's incremental nature also makes it an excellent option for teens with learning challenges.
In most cases, it is recommended that students complete this level before beginning WriteShop II.
A good thesaurus is essential for WriteShop students. The Synonym Finder [affiliate link] is our favorite thesaurus, and we highly recommend it for use with the WriteShop program.
If purchasing the E-BOOK (digital) version
You will receive an email containing a link to the digital download of the Student Workbook.
Purchase one workbook per student. Alternately, you may duplicate certain pages according to these policies:
- Permission is granted to reproduce worksheet pages and rubrics for single-family use only.
- You do not have permission to reproduce read-only pages (pages not intended to be written on).
- To make copies of the entire student workbook (single-family use only), purchase the e-book (digital) version.
- Co-ops and schools may NOT make copies. Please contact WriteShop regarding educational discounts and site-licensing information.
Teacher's Manual for WriteShop I & II
WriteShop I is not a stand-alone book. The Teacher's Manual provides parents and teachers with the tools they need to teach both WriteShop I and WriteShop II. This critical resource contains many instructional activities needed for introducing or explaining key concepts. These materials are NOT always present in the student book.
Kim Kautzer and Debra Oldar
6th-10th grade; may also be used with 11th graders w/little or no writing experience
Looseleaf pages; 3-hole punched, Paperback, Consumable workbook
Yes, you'll need both teacher and student components
Teacher's Manual for WriteShop I & II, Copying & Dictation Exercises