WriteShop I & II Overview
Provide teens with a solid foundation in descriptive, informative, and narrative writing—and build self-editing skills—using the incremental WriteShop writing program. This overview of WriteShop I & II gives you the big picture.
Feel Insecure about Teaching and Grading Writing?
Parents love WriteShop! This flexible writing program helps new and veteran homeschoolers alike tackle junior high and high school-level writing with confidence. From brainstorming to final draft, the Teacher’s Manual clearly defines your role in the writing process. You’ll love the examples, detailed lesson plans, and step-by-step instructions.
WriteShop I and II set your teens on a course for success. Assignments give them a chance to practice various kinds of writing, such as creative, expository, narrative, and persuasive.
With each lesson, they’ll learn new skills, apply them to their current writing project, and edit and revise the composition several times. By the end of the lesson—after brainstorming, writing, editing, and revising—they’ll have a polished paper to be proud of!
Inspire Confident Writers
WriteShop’s step-by-step method encourages your teen’s success.
Confident writers are comfortable with the writing process.
Topic suggestions, graphic organizers and brainstorming worksheets, and 17 practical word banks help unlock your student’s creative ideas.
WriteShop’s “learn-practice-do” approach helps new skills become habits. Each engaging lesson presents a new writing skill that is:
- Introduced as a Skill Builder exercise.
- Put into practice in the current composition.
- Applied to future compositions.
Additionally, WriteShop focuses on clarity, conciseness, colorful vocabulary, and sentence variety that will add sparkle to dull, ordinary compositions.
3. Self-Editing and Revising
WriteShop tells students exactly what to look for when editing and refining their own work. There’s no guessing involved! Each lesson has its own customized Writing Skills Checklist. When finished with the editing process, students have a polished final draft.
No More Writer’s Block
Do your teens fear the dreaded blank page? Writing comes easier when they have clear instructions and topic guidelines. Because WriteShop’s concrete instructions tell them exactly what to do, they’ll never have to wonder how long their paper should be or what content they should include.
WriteShop I & II Features
- Solid writing foundation for 6th-10th graders using WriteShop I
- Advanced writing concepts for 8th-12th graders using WriteShop II
- Incremental lessons with a strong emphasis on editing; lessons gradually increase in difficulty
- Practical grammar application as students relate grammar to writing
- Goal of mastery as lessons regularly review skills
- Creative and varied lessons
- Graphic organizers and step-by-step strategies that help students with learning difficulties such as dyslexia or dysgraphia
- Flexible scheduling. Because the material is “ungraded,” students may begin WriteShop I any time between 6th and 10th grade and may take from one semester to two years to complete this first level. When finished, they can move up to WriteShop II.
- Video course options. When you feel unsure about teaching writing on your own or don’t have time to add one more thing to your schedule, PlayWith.Education’s online Video Course may be the answer.
Learn More about WriteShop I & II
Frequently Asked Questions
WriteShop I and II Skills Chart – Compares skills taught in each level
How to Choose a Level
View Sample Lessons
View WriteShop I and II products
Get Extra Help with Our Video Courses
Just getting started? Explore Help for Beginners