Break up your routine or add punch and variety to writing lessons with Spin-a-Story. Use these fun writing prompts in addition to—or instead of—a daily writing assignment.
This digital download includes 4 spinners. Each one comes in both full color and grayscale options (8 spinners total) and includes complete directions and ideas for how to use them.
- Exciting Adventures! Spinner
- Animal Adventures Spinner
- Fantasy & Fairy Tales Spinner
- Historical Adventures Spinner
Spin three times to find out your CHARACTER, SETTING, and a SITUATION. Once you have your three elements, it’s up to you to create the whole story! Here’s an example from the “Animal Adventures” spinner:
1st spin for CHARACTER: a jungle animal
2nd spin for SETTING: in an abandoned building
3rd spin for PLOT: hears a cry for help
Spinners may be used by students of various ages. Though they are designed for grades 3-8, younger children and even teens can enjoy them too. (Instructions include ideas for using this activity with pre-writers.)
Spin-a-Story spinners are only available as a digital file that you print yourself. Upon purchase, you will receive an immediate download link to the PDF file.
Spin-a-Story gives children opportunities to
- Use their imaginations to create fictional stories
- Express themselves both verbally and in writing
- Practice writing stories that have a beginning, middle, and end
- Incorporate character qualities and emotions into their stories
- Describe a story’s setting
PDF (available for immediate download)