Whether to capture an inspirational quote in a journal, practice penmanship, or develop habits of discipline and observation, copywork is valued as a useful exercise. You may either come up with your own copywork passages to accompany WriteShop I lessons or use the carefully chosen selections found in Copying and Dictation Exercises for WriteShop I. Gathered primarily from works of quality literature, the collection also includes selections from such diverse sources as a Civil War-era newspaper, turn-of-the-century boys’ handbook, and modern-day cookbook.
WriteShop allows time for copying and dictation in each of its schedules. Short but important, these exercises help students pay close attention to detail. Each passage consists of a two- to five-sentence paragraph that mirrors the type of writing within its corresponding lesson. For example, students copy a vivid description of The Velveteen Rabbit to get ready for describing an object. When their writing lesson turns to journalism, copywork comes from an 1865 article in The New York Times. And when they write a personal narrative, their selection is drawn from Treasure Island.
Copying and Dictation Exercises for WriteShop I includes
- 16 literary passages, one for each WriteShop I lesson
- Well-spaced text for trouble-free reading.
- Large, clear fonts that are easy on the eyes
- One selection per page
- Parent instructions and extra resources
- 5.5″ x 8.5″ (print version)
- 8.5″ x 11″ (digital version)
If purchasing the E-book (digital) version
- Unlike the print version, E-book pages include blank lines directly beneath each passage on which students may copy the selection.
- Permission is granted to print pages for single-family use only.
Notice to Co-ops and Schools
- Co-ops and schools may NOT reproduce Copying and Dictation Exercises pages, but must either purchase one booklet for each student or obtain a site license from WriteShop.
- Please contact WriteShop regarding educational discounts and site-licensing information.
Kim Kautzer and Debra Oldar
Teacher's Manual for WriteShop I & II, WriteShop I student workbook
No, this is an optional component