What we collect and store
WriteShop, Inc. is the sole owner of the information collected on this Site. We will not sell, share, or rent this information to others in ways differently than disclosed in this notice.
Through your use of pages on this Website and interaction with our products, we may collect data from you. Sometimes this data identifies you and sometimes it is anonymous. Our goal is always to maintain the highest levels of privacy and security with your personal data.
When you purchase a product from us, you will be asked to provide information, including your name, billing address, delivery address, email address, phone number, and credit card/payment details. This information will be used to:
- Send information or seek clarification about an order
- Process payments and prevent fraud
- Generate shipping labels
- Email digital files
- Respond to your requests, including support inquiries and refunds
- Set up user accounts on our website
- Comply with any legal obligations we have, such as calculating taxes
- Send product update messages
- Improve our offerings
When you make a purchase, we store your name, billing address, email address, and phone number, which will be used to populate the checkout for future orders. We don’t store or keep financial data such as bank account or payment card details.
We request information from customers making purchases within our shopping cart and order-processing interfaces. Here a user must provide contact information, financial information, and identity information. This information is used to fill customer’s orders, for billing purposes, and to verify the identity of the consumer to protect against fraud. If we have trouble processing an order, this contact information is used to get in touch with the user.
As a site user, your name and email address are recorded on this site when you leave a comment on a blog post. We do not use this information for marketing purposes without your express consent. If you would like to remove, add, or edit your details, please contact us.
When you contact WriteShop via our contact form, only your name and email address are recorded. We do not use this information for marketing purposes.
When you log in, we will also set up several cookies to save your login information and your screen display choices. Login cookies last for two days, and screen-options cookies last for a year. If you select “Remember Me,” your login will persist for two weeks. If you log out of your account, the login cookies will be removed.
Embedded content from other websites
We use Google Analytics for website visitor analytics. We do not log any Personal Data of site visitors; IP addresses are anonymized and “Data sharing” is disabled.
Affiliates of WriteShop voluntarily provide us with personal data, which may include name, address, email address, website address, and taxpayer identification number (either EIN or SSN). We will contact Affiliates by email regarding special promotions and other affiliate-related news. Affiliates may unsubscribe from these emails at any time. Affiliates of WriteShop agree to these terms.
Who in our company has access to stored data
To provide customer and user support, our team members have access to certain information users provide us. Team members may only access data directly related to carrying out their duties.
- Administrators have access to all company data and physical storage files.
- Marketing Director and Office Manager are given administrative access to all areas of our website.
- Support Representatives, in order to provide order support, process refunds, etc., can only access customer information (name, address, phone number, and email address) and order details and history.
What we share with others
We share information with third parties who help us provide our service, including:
- Fulfillment: WriteShop uses a third-party fulfillment service to process, pack, and ship orders. This fulfillment service can access customer information, including name, billing and delivery address, email address, and phone number; and order information and history.
- Website Maintenance: We keep a trusted web technician on retainer to maintain our site, update software and plugins, and troubleshoot as needed. The technician has administrative access to our website.
Contests and Promotions
Participation in WriteShop surveys, contests, or other promotions offered on our Website or through social media is completely voluntary. Information requested for entry may include personal contact information such as your name, email address, and username. We use the information you provide to run our promotions. Unless prohibited by law, we use your information to communicate with you, or other people you select, about our products and services. We may share this information with WriteShop Affiliates in accordance with this policy and the rules posted for the promotion.
Why we collect your data
First, we may collect data from you when you give consent for us to do so by completing forms on our website. Examples include:
- Registering as a user
- Subscribing to our mailing list
- Registering as an affiliate
- Making a purchase from our store
- Commenting on a blog post
For instance, when you subscribe to our mailing list, you consent to receive marketing and other emails from WriteShop.
Second, we may collect personal data when it is necessary for us to fulfill a contractual obligation to you. Examples include:
- Processing and fulfilling your order
- Preparing a license allowing a school or homeschool group to print and distribute WriteShop products
For example, when you buy a product through our shopping cart, you consent to provide financial information, identity information, and contact information. This data is used for billing purposes, to verify your identity to protect against fraud, and to fill your order. If we have trouble processing an order, this contact information is used to get in touch with you.
Third, we collect some information automatically. This anonymized data can include log information, usage information, location information, stored information, and information from cookies.
How long we retain your data
- Contact Forms: We keep contact form entries for six months
- Customer Purchase Records: We keep customer purchase records for 10 years for tax and accounting purposes.
- Blog Comments: If you leave a comment, the comment and its metadata are retained indefinitely. This is so we can recognize and approve any follow-up comments automatically instead of holding them in a moderation queue.
- Registered Users: For users who register on our website, we also store the personal information they provide in their user profile. All users can see, edit, or delete their personal information at any time (except they cannot change their username). Website administrators can also see and edit that information.
- Affiliates: In order to process WriteShop affiliate payments and generate IRS 1099 forms for qualifying affiliates, we must store an affiliate’s personal data until the affiliate notifies WriteShop that they have terminated their affiliate status.
Where we send your data
As mentioned above, we process online payments for products and services through PayPal. Data provided to PayPal includes information required to process or support the payment, such as the product or service purchase, date and time of the purchase, purchase total, and billing information.
If you order a print book from our store, it will be fulfilled from our inventory, which is stored at Christian Printing Services in Chino, California. Your shipping data is provided to the United States Postal Service (USPS) using Endicia.com.
If you leave a comment on our blog, it may be checked through an automated spam detection service.
What rights you have over your data
You have a right to know if we hold any of your personal data and to have access to that data, and you have the right to have any incorrect personal data corrected. If you have given us consent to have or use your data, you have the right to withdraw that consent at any time. You also have the right to have your personal data erased or to transport your data.
You have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority. Which authority is appropriate varies depending on your jurisdiction.
Be aware that sometimes need your data so we can interact with you Exercising some or all of these rights might impact your ability to use our website or our products and services. If you have an account on this site, or have left comments, you can request to receive an exported file of the personal data we hold about you, including any data you have provided to us. You can also request that we erase any personal data we hold about you by contacting. This does not include any data we are obliged to keep for administrative, legal, or security purposes.
Data Breach Policies
As noted above, for your protection we do not store credit card numbers. If a breach of our site occurs, customer credit card numbers are simply not available to a data thief.
Also as noted above, we do store other, less sensitive user information. If we become aware of a breach, we will immediately contact our web technician or other Information Technology (IT) support. We will then notify by email the impacted users promptly and no later than 24 hours following our learning of the breach. We will take all necessary and proper steps reasonably available to us to secure the site from further intrusion.
Children Under Thirteen
WriteShop does not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from children under the age of thirteen. While some of our blog posts contain activities directed at children and teens, these posts are intended to be shared with children under the supervision of a parent or teacher. Children under the age of eighteen must ask a parent or guardian for permission to use this site.
Privacy Protection Concerns