1. What we collect and store
WriteShop, Inc. is the sole owner of the information collected on this Site. We will never sell, share, or rent this information to others in ways differently than disclosed in this notice.
Through your use of pages on this Website and interaction with our products, we may collect data from you. Sometimes this data identifies you and sometimes it is anonymous. Our goal is always to maintain the highest levels of privacy and security with your personal data.
Categories of Personal Information
Within the last twelve (12) months, WriteShop has collected and processed the following categories of Personal Information from its customers’ activity on the WriteShop website.
|Identifiers||Real name, pseudonym, and/or online username; Internet Protocol (IP) address, postal address, email address; phone number; device identifier; other device identifiers including the operating system, browser type, network information; or other similar identifiers|
|Customer Records Information||Name, address, email address, telephone number|
|Commercial Information||Records of products or services purchased, obtained, or considered; or other purchasing histories or tendencies|
|Internet Activity Information||Device use, browsing history, search history, and information regarding a consumer’s interaction with an Internet website, application, or advertisement|
|Geolocation Data||Physical location|
|Inferences||Profile reflecting an individual’s preferences, characteristics, predispositions, or purchasing behavior|
WriteShop obtains the categories of Personal Information listed above from the following categories of sources:
- Directly from you (personal Information you provide to WriteShop). For example, from forms you fill out or from purchases you make through our Website.
- Indirectly from you. For example, from observing user behaviors gained through third-party platforms such as Klaviyo.
- Records and copies of your correspondence (including email addresses), if you contact us regarding WriteShop products or services.
- Your responses to surveys we might ask you to complete for research or marketing purposes.
- Details of transactions you carry out through this Website and of the fulfillment of your orders.
This Statement does not apply to Personal Information collected by:
- WriteShop offline or through any other means, including through any other website that is not operated by WriteShop.
- Communication or correspondence with WriteShop not related to your purchase or use of WriteShop products or services.
- Any third party that collects information about your device or smartphone usage and activity.
- Any third party, including through any application or content (including advertising) that may link to from this Website.
How We Collect and Store Information
When you purchase a product from us, you will be asked to provide information, including your name, billing address, delivery address, email address, phone number, and credit card/payment details. This information will be used to:
- Send information or seek clarification about an order
- Process payments and prevent fraud
- Generate shipping labels
- Email digital files
- Respond to your requests, including support inquiries and refunds
- Set up user accounts on our website
- Comply with any legal obligations we have, such as calculating taxes
- Send product update messages
- Improve our offerings
When you make a purchase, we only store your name, billing/shipping address, email address, and phone number, which will be used to populate the checkout for future orders. We don’t store or keep financial data such as bank account or payment card details.
We ask for information from customers making purchases through our shopping cart and order-processing interfaces. Here a user must provide contact information, financial information, and identity information. This information is used to fill customer orders, for billing purposes, and to verify the identity of the consumer to protect against fraud. If we have trouble processing an order, this contact information is used to get in touch with the user.
As a site user, you will be asked to enter your name (or pseudonym) and email address each time you leave a comment on a blog post. The name you enter will be visible to blog visitors, but your email will never be made visible. We do not use this information, including testimonials, for marketing purposes without your express consent. If you would like to remove, add, or edit your details, please contact us.
When you contact WriteShop via our contact form, only your name and email address are recorded. We do not sell this information or use it for marketing purposes.
If you have an account and you log in to our site, we set a temporary cookie to determine if your browser accepts cookies. This cookie contains no personal data and is discarded when you close your browser.
When you log in, our site sets up several cookies to save your login information and your screen display choices. Login cookies last for two days, and screen-options cookies last for one year. If you select “Remember Me,” your login will persist for two weeks. If you log out of your account, the login cookies will be removed.
Embedded content from other websites
We use Google Analytics for website visitor analytics. We do not log any Personal Data of site visitors; IP addresses are anonymized and “Data sharing” is disabled.
Affiliates of WriteShop voluntarily provide us with personal data, which may include name, address, email address, website address, and taxpayer identification number (either EIN or SSN). We will contact Affiliates by email regarding special promotions and other affiliate-related news. Affiliates may unsubscribe from these emails at any time. Affiliates of WriteShop agree to these Affiliate Terms of Service.
2. Online advertising and third parties we work with
WriteShop works with third-party companies such as Google, Facebook, and Pinterest for advertising purposes in order to track and categorize visitors’ activity and interests over time on our website and on third-party websites. Such tracking helps us understand our customers’ (and potential customers’) interests, which helps us to serve you (and all our other customers and potential customers) more effectively. It also helps us figure out how to identify where we are most likely to find other people like you who are likely to enjoy our products and services.
We work with third-party companies to help us show advertisements across the Internet. We also work with third-party companies to identify the different device(s) our visitors use to access our website. This helps us improve our visitors’ experience when using our website.
We share information with these companies, and these companies may collect information (including automatically collected information) when you use our website. We share and they collect by means of the methods described in the “Third-Party Ad Choices” and “What We Share with Others” sections further below.
For information about how you can control the online advertising practices described in this section, please see the “Your Choices and Access Requests” Section immediately below.
3. Your choices and access requests
We strive to offer you choices about how we use and share your personal information. Your choices include:
- Online Advertising. We strive to work only with third-party advertisers that pursue best-practices. You can manage, opt out of, and learn more about third-party advertising preferences using this tool: optout.aboutads.info
- Social Media Platforms and Networks. We encourage you to review your privacy options and settings with the social media platforms and networks you use. They explain the choices you have about sharing information from those platforms and networks with us.
Third-Party Ad Choices
WriteShop works with trusted partners to create interest-based ads that may be displayed when you visit other websites. In order to tailor ads to your interests, our partners may collect anonymous details about your visit to WriteShop.com. You may learn more about WriteShop’s interest-based advertising activities or choose to opt out using the links provided.
What happens if I opt out?
If you opt out, our third-party advertising partners will no longer use information about your visit to WriteShop.com to show you interest-based advertising from our company. An opt-out cookie will be set on your browser that stores your preference for each partner. If you clear your browser’s cookies or use a different browser to visit our site, our partners will not be able to retrieve your opt-out preference and you will need to opt-out again.
Opting out of WriteShop’s interest-based advertising activities is not the same thing as opting out of ads. You will still see ads, and you may even see ads from WriteShop that are not interest-based.
To stop receiving interest-based ads from WriteShop, visit the links to each of our third-party advertising partners’s websites below.
Our Interest-Based Advertising Partners
|Facebook Ads||About Facebook Ads||Opt Out of Facebook Ads|
|Facebook Pixel||About Facebook Pixel||Opt Out of Facebook Pixel|
|Instagram Ads||About Instagram Ads||Opt Out of Instagram Ads|
|Google Ads||About Google Ads||Opt Out of Google Ads|
|Google Analytics||About Google Analytics||Opt Out of Google Analytics|
|Google Call Tracking||About Google Call Tracking||Opt Out of Google Call Tracking|
|Google Customer Match||About Google Customer Match||Opt Out of Google Customer Match|
|About Pinterest Ads||Opt Out of Pinterest Ads|
Emails from WriteShop
We use Klaviyo for our newsletter campaigns. Subscribers are not added without having first opted in. We also use Klaviyo’s tools to create audiences on Facebook and Pinterest.
Klaviyo uses open tracking to tell us if subscribers open the emails we send. Both of these services store personal data such as your name, email address, location, and IP address. You can unsubscribe at any time. To unsubscribe from all Klaviyo emails use this link.
Account Access Requests
If you have registered for an online account at WriteShop.com, you may access and update certain personal information that you have provided to us by logging into your account and using the features and functionalities available there.
You may also make a request for access to personal information by sending an email or writing to us at the address specified below. We are not able to grant all access requests, and in order to protect your privacy, we will seek to confirm your identity before we grant access to your information, or before we make any corrections or deletions.
4. Who in our company has access to stored data
To provide customer and user support, our team members have access to certain information users provide us. Team members may only access data directly related to carrying out their duties.
- Administrators have access to all company data and physical storage files.
- Marketing Director and Office Manager are given administrative access to all areas of our website.
- Support Representatives can only access customer information (name, address, phone number, and email address) and order details and history for the purpose of providing order support, processing refunds, etc.
5. What we share with others
WriteShop does not sell information to third parties. However, in the past 12 months, we have shared certain information with third parties that help us provide our service, including:
- Fulfillment. WriteShop uses a third-party fulfillment service to process, pack, and ship orders. This fulfillment service can access the following customer information: name, billing and delivery address, email address, and phone number; and order information and history.
- Website Maintenance. We keep a trusted web technician on retainer to maintain our site, update software and plugins, and troubleshoot as needed. The technician has administrative access to our website.
Contests and Promotions
Participation in WriteShop surveys, contests, or other promotions offered on our Website or through social media is completely voluntary. Information requested for entry may include personal contact information such as your name, email address, and username. We use the information you provide to run our promotions. Unless prohibited by law, we use your information to communicate with you, or other people you select, about our products and services. We may share this information with WriteShop Affiliates in accordance with this policy and the rules posted for the promotion. For more information, see our Giveaway Policy.
6. Why we collect your data
First, we may collect data from you when you give consent for us to do so by completing forms on our website. Examples include:
- Registering as a user
- Subscribing to our mailing list
- Registering as an affiliate
- Making a purchase from our store
- Commenting on a blog post
- Entering a contest
For instance, when you subscribe to our mailing list, you consent to receive marketing and other emails from WriteShop.
Second, we may collect personal data when it is necessary for us to fulfill a contractual obligation to you. Examples include:
- Processing and fulfilling your order
- Preparing a license allowing a school or homeschool group to print and distribute WriteShop products
For example, when you buy a product through our shopping cart, you consent to provide financial information, identity information, and contact information. This data is used for billing purposes, to verify your identity to protect against fraud, and to fill your order. If we have trouble processing an order, this contact information is used to get in touch with you.
Third, we collect some information automatically. This anonymized data can include log information, usage information, location information, stored information, and information from cookies.
7. How long we retain your data
- Customer Purchase Records. We keep customer purchase records for 7 years for tax and accounting purposes.
- Blog Comments. If you leave a comment, the comment and its metadata are retained indefinitely. This is so we can recognize and approve any follow-up comments automatically instead of holding them in a moderation queue.
- Registered Users. For users who register on our website, we also store the personal information you provide in your user profile. You can see, edit, or delete your personal information at any time (except you cannot change your username). Website administrators can also see and edit that information.
- Affiliates. In order to process WriteShop affiliate payments for qualifying affiliates, we must store your personal data until you notify WriteShop that you have terminated your affiliate status.
8. Where we send your data
As mentioned above, we process online payments for products and services through PayPal. Data provided to PayPal includes information required to process or support the payment, such as the product or service purchase, date and time of the purchase, purchase total, and billing information.
If you order a print book from our store, it will be fulfilled from our inventory, which is stored at and shipped from Christian Printing Service in Chino, California. If you order a video course, we send your contact information to PlayWith.Education so they can set up your account. Your shipping data is provided either to the United States Postal Service (USPS) or FedEx using Endicia.com.
If you leave a comment on our blog, it may be checked through an automated spam detection service.
9. What rights you have over your data
You have a right to know if we hold any of your personal data and to have access to that data, and you have the right to have any incorrect personal data corrected. If you have given us consent to have or use your data, you have the right to withdraw that consent at any time. You also have the right to have your personal data erased or to transport your data.
You have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority. Which authority is appropriate varies depending on your jurisdiction.
Be aware that sometimes we need your data so we can interact with you Exercising some or all of these rights might impact your ability to use our website or our products and services. If you have an account on this site, or have left comments, you can request to receive an exported file of the personal data we hold about you, including any data you have provided to us.
Request to Delete
You can also contact us to request that we erase any personal data we hold about you. This does not include any data we are obliged to keep for administrative, legal, or security purposes.
10. Your California privacy rights
As required by the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), residents of the state of California are afforded the following.
- Right to Opt Out. WriteShop will never sell your personal information. However, California law requires that we maintain a separate webpage that allows you to opt out of the sale of your personal information. You can access the webpage by clicking this link: Do Not Sell My Personal Information
- Right to Know. You have the right to request that we disclose a report of your Personal Information. For additional information and to request your report, please contact us.
- Right to Delete. You have the right to request that we erase any personal data we hold about you. This does not include any data we are obliged to keep for administrative, legal, or security purposes. For additional information, or to request that we delete your personal data, please contact us.
- Right to Equal Service. WriteShop will not discriminate against you for exercising your rights as a Consumer under the CCPA.
Disclosures and Updates
- Identify any new rights afforded to California consumers by the CCPA.
- Disclose categories of personal information WriteShop has collected in the past 12 months.
- State reasons why WriteShop has collected this personal information about the consumer.
- Identify third parties with whom WriteShop has shared personal information in the previous 12 months.
- Disclose categories of personal information the company has sold in the past 12 months (if any), or avow that WriteShop has not sold any such personal information in that time.
11. What happens if there is a data breach
As noted above, for your protection we do not store credit card numbers. If a breach of our site occurs, customer credit card numbers are simply not available to a data thief.
Also as noted above, we do store other, less-sensitive user information. If we become aware of a breach, we will immediately contact our web technician or other Information Technology (IT) support. We will then notify by email the impacted users promptly and no later than 24 hours following our learning of the breach. We will take all necessary and proper steps reasonably available to us to secure the site from further intrusion.
12. Children under thirteen
WriteShop does not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from children under the age of thirteen. While some of our blog posts contain activities directed at children and teens, these posts are intended to be shared with children under the supervision of a parent or teacher. Children under the age of eighteen must ask a parent or guardian for permission to use this site.
14. Privacy protection concerns
15. Policy changes