Looking for resources that teach parts of speech in fun and engaging ways? Need some tools to supplement your homeschool grammar instruction? Check out this exciting variety of activities, workbooks, and picture books. Your kids’ giggles will thank you!
1. Fold-N-Go Grammar for lapbook-style fun
Grammar will soon become your children’s favorite subject when you introduce them to Fold-N-Gos from WriteShop.
With each Fold-N-Go Grammar Pack, kids will make 10 lapbook-style grammar and writing flipbooks. By the end of each level, your children will have their very own set of portable reference guides, along with matching bookmarks for quick review.
Each folder, or guide, has a single focus—punctuation, prepositions, or homophones, for example—and contains six colorful pages of simple rules and practice exercises. Mazes, word searches, and puzzles make learning or reviewing grammar fun.
- Level 1 Fold-N-Go Grammar Pack 10 Fold-N-Gos that feature punctuation, grammar, different parts of speech, and self-editing. Ages 8-11
- Level 2 Fold-N-Go Grammar Pack 10 Fold-N-Gos that feature compound words, homophones, synonyms and antonyms, subjects and predicates, and different kinds of sentences. Ages 9-12
- Level 3 Fold-N-Go Grammar Pack 10 Fold-N-Gos that feature figures of speech, point of view, contractions, multiple-paragraph pointers, apostrophes, and commas. Ages 9-12
2. Words Are Categorical®
For ages 7-9, Brian P. Cleary’s Words Are Categorical series is an outstanding resource to use when studying parts of speech. Many of these titles are available at your local library or can be ordered online.
These humorous, engaging books can increase your child’s ability and confidence in acquiring strong grammar skills—essential ingredients of successful writing. Some of the titles include:
- Pitch and Throw, Grasp and Know: What Is a Synonym?
- A Mink, a Fink, a Skating Rink: What is a Noun?
- I And You And Don’t Forget Who: What Is a Pronoun?
- To Root, to Toot, to Parachute: What Is a Verb?
- Hairy, Scary, Ordinary: What Is an Adjective?
- Dearly, Nearly, Insincerely: What Is An Adverb?
- Under, Over, by the Clover: What Is a Preposition?
3. Grammar manipulatives for homeschool kids
Your child can explore hands-on manipulatives to reinforce homeschool grammar lessons. For ages 7-9, Grammar Manipulatives Kids Love! provides reproducible pull-throughs, wheels, and flip-ups that help master the parts of speech including nouns, pronouns, verbs, adverbs, adjectives, and prepositions.
4. Mad Libs® to teach parts of speech
Remember playing Mad Libs as a kid? They’re just as entertaining today! To play, you prompt your children for words to substitute for blanks in a story. The results are hilarious!
You can happily call Mad Libs a homeschool grammar activity because each story reinforces parts of speech. Here’s the best part: because of the all the laughter, your kids won’t even suspect that they’re learning! If you’ve never given Mad Libs a try, they’re an inexpensive way to have some fun with words.
Mad Libs Junior (ages 5-8)
Mad Libs (ages 8-12)
5. Picture Books about parts of speech
Picture books are great resources that teach parts of speech and reinforce grammar and punctuation concepts. Here is just a handful of beautifully illustrated, captivating, and often hilarious books your family is sure to enjoy.
- Many Luscious Lollipops) A gorgeous picture book that helps further a child’s grasp of the meaning and purpose of adjectives. Ages 5-8
- If You Were a Verb Striking, highly textured pictures demonstrate the use of verbs. Ages 6-10
- Dear Deer This book is a hilarious way to teach homophones. You and your kids will be in stitches! Ages 4-7
- Punctuation Celebration Here’s a bright, fresh, colorful way to teach punctuation through poems. Ages 6-9
- The Girl’s Like Spaghetti From the author of Eats, Shoots & Leaves, this silly book shows how the little apostrophe makes a BIG difference! Ages 6-9
This post contains affiliate links for products we’re confident your family will love! We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program and may earn a small commission for recommendations or links to any products or services from Amazon.com.