12 back to school writing prompts
LOOKING FOR some fresh ways to ease your kids back into writing? These fun end-of-summer writing prompts will help them reflect on their summer without resorting to that tired, overused “How did you spend your summer vacation?”
1. August is the only month that has no major holiday. Invent a new August holiday. How will people celebrate?
2. Did you visit a new place for the first time this summer? Describe this place and tell how you felt about it.
3. Think about your favorite activity from this past summer? What made it so much fun?
4. Describe something you did this summer that involved water.
5. Summer is a time for vacations, family reunions, and backyard parties. Write about something you did with a large group of people this summer.
6. Summer is a great time to explore the out-of-doors. Did you spend time in nature this summer? Describe where you went and some things you did there.
7. There’s one word that reminds almost everyone of summer: hot! Was your summer hot? What did you do to keep cool?
8. Kids often get summer jobs. Did you? What were some things you did this summer to earn money?
9. Write about something you did this summer that you have never done before.
10. Write five words that describe your summer. Then tell why you chose each word.
11. Describe something you did this summer to help someone in need.
12. Write about a book you read this summer.
Did your kids enjoy these back to school writing prompts? Explore hundreds more prompts and topics in the Writing Prompt Wednesdays archive!