12 back-to-school writing prompts
LOOKING FOR some fresh ways to ease your kids back into writing? These fun end-of-summer writing prompts will help them reflect on their summer without resorting to that tired, overused “How did you spend your summer vacation?”
- August is the only month that has no major holiday. Invent a new August holiday. How will people celebrate?
- Did you visit a new place for the first time this summer? Describe this place and tell how you felt about it.
- Think about your favorite activity from this past summer? What made it so much fun?
- Describe something you did this summer that involved water.
- Summer is a time for vacations, family reunions, and backyard parties. Write about something you did with a large group of people this summer.
- Summer is a great time to explore the out-of-doors. Did you spend time in nature this summer? Describe where you went and some things you did there.
- There’s one word that reminds almost everyone of summer: hot! Was your summer hot? What did you do to keep cool?
- Kids often get summer jobs. Did you? What were some things you did this summer to earn money?
- Write about something you did this summer that you have never done before.
- Write five words that describe your summer. Then tell why you chose each word.
- Describe something you did this summer to help someone in need.
- Write about a book you read this summer.